Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about curbside service

What day is my trash/recycling/yard waste pick-up?

It varies by community and where you live within your community.

  • Farmington: Click here to find your collection day or call your DPW at (248) 473-7250.
  • Farmington Hills: Click here to find your collection day or call your DPW at (248) 871-2850.
  • Milford: Collection day is Tuesday. Click here for more information.
  • Milford Township: Collection day is Wednesday. Click here for more information.
  • Novi: The City of Novi contracts with Waste Management of Michigan Inc. to be the sole provider of trash, recycling, yard waste and bulk item collection. The route map can be found here. For more information about sanitation services, click here.
  • Southfield: If you live between 12 and 13 Mile Roads, Monday; between 11 and 12 Mile Roads, Tuesday; between 10 and 11 Mile Roads, Wednesday; between 9 and 10 Mile Roads, Thursday; and between 8 and 9 Mile Roads, Friday. For more information, click here.
  • South Lyon: If you live NORTH of the center of Lake Street (10 Mile Road) – your pick-up day is Monday. If you live SOUTH of the center of Lake Street (10 Mile Road) – your pick-up day is Tuesday. For more information, click here.
  • Walled Lake: Collection day is Wednesday. Click here for more information and a map of service.
  • Wixom: Collection day is Wednesday. Click here for more information.

How can I get a recycling cart/bin?

The RRRASOC offices do not have extra carts/bins. Call the city departments listed below to request a new or extra recycling cart/bin:

  • Farmington: Department of Public Works (248) 473-7250
  • Farmington Hills: Division of Public Works (248) 871-2850
  • Milford: For bins, contact the Village Offices (248) 684-1515; For 64-gallon recycling carts, contact GFL Environmental Services at (844) 464-3587
  • Milford Township: For bins, contact the Township Offices (248) 685-8731; For 64-gallon recycling carts, contact GFL Environmental Services at (844) 464-3587. Cart fee: $75 paid to GFL Environmental Services
  • Novi – Waste Management Customer Experience Center at (866)-797-9018
  • South Lyon: For bins, contact the Department of Public Works (248) 437-2326; For 64-gallon recycling carts, contact GFL Environmental Services at (844) 464-3587 or online at http://gflusa.com/city-of-south-lyon/
  • Southfield: For bins, contact the Neighborhood Center (248) 796-5140; For 64-gallon recycling carts, contact GFL Environmental Services at (844) 464-3587
  • Walled Lake: For bins, contat City Hall (248) 624-4847; For 64-gallon recycling carts or 96-gallon trash carts, contact GFL Environmental Services at (844) 464-3587. A $3 per month per cart fee applies
  • Wixom: Department of Public Works (248) 624-0141

Why didn’t you pick up my trash/recycling/yard waste?

We, RRRASOC, are not the contracted solid waste hauler in your community. More information regarding your hauler can be found in the Re-Source Guide or on the Collection Providers page. However, please feel free to review our recycling and yard waste guidelines.

My yard waste was in plastic bags and it was left at the curb! Why?

In Michigan, it is illegal to landfill  yard waste. Therefore, all leaves, grass clippings, and other yard waste must go to a compost site. Plastic bags do not break down in the composting process, and create problematic odors. As a result, compost facilities will not accept yard waste in plastic bags. You can place your yard waste in either brown paper yard waste bags or a trashcan marked with a “yard waste” sticker.

Which holidays will cause a delay with my trash pick-up?

No service is provided on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas. Collections for those days and any day of the week following that holiday will be delayed by one day.

Household Hazardous Waste

What can I do with needles, sharps, and syringes?

They can go in your regular trash. Please take the time to follow these safety steps:

  1. Clip your needles.
  2. Place the needles in a HARD plastic bottle. Tape the lid shut, and mark the container “SYRINGES.”
  3. Place the container in a garbage bag and into the trash. NEVER put sharps or any medical waste containers in your recycling bin.
  4. For more information, please click here .

I missed my (city’s) HHW day. What can I do?

As a RRRASOC resident, you can attend any of the scheduled HHW events. Please see the Household Hazardous Waste link for more information. If you need to dispose of material immediately (i.e., you are moving), you can make an appointment with Environmental Recycling Group, our HHW vendor. They are located in Livonia and can be reached at (734) 437-9650. Please call to make an appointment.

Why don’t you take latex paint? What can I do with it?

 Latex paint is not hazardous. By not accepting it at HHW events, we keep our costs down. Latex paint can safely be put into the trash if solidified. You can do this at home by adding kitty litter to the can of paint. If the paint can is too full, you can splash some out onto newspaper to dry. Leave the lid off, and let it solidify completely. Once this happens, place it at the curb with your trash, leaving the lid off.

How can I tell if my paint is latex?

The paint can should say “latex” or “water-based” on the front. When in doubt, check the clean-up instructions. If it says to clean with mineral spirits or thinner, it is oil-based. If it says to clean up with soap and water, the paint is latex.


Where can I have my paper shredded?

Paper shredding is available at all of the RRRASOC Household Hazardous Waste events. There is a 100 pound or three box limit per household.

Other Questions

Do you buy scrap metal?


My city isn’t listed as a RRRASOC member. Who can I call with questions?

Your local Department of Public Works is a great resource.

What do I do with construction debris?

Small amounts of Items such as drywall, windows, plywood and other construction debris can be picked up with your regular trash as long as pieces are less than four feet in length and less than sixty pounds. Large amounts from contractors will not be accepted. You can either call your trash hauler or DPW to arrange a special pick up. Another option is to take your debris to a local landfill. A fee will apply.